If thee shall go in search of knowledge thou shall come across a truth & the ultimate truth is Allah

Monday 14 June 2021

BATTLES – COVERT OPERATIONS

SPECIAL OPERATIONS



Special Note: Before we proceed with knowing and understanding certain activities discussed in following Ahadis one must have clear conception about following;

There were WAR CONDITIONS prevailing in Arabia with Quraysh and Muslims as two major contenders, rest of the tribes in this war arena were either supporting one side or the other or played neutral. In in this WAR conditions such covert operations should not be a surprise for an unbiased reader with average understanding of warfare about conduct of WAR on the part of the Prophet (s). In the backdrop of full-fledged wars of negative propaganda unleashed against Islam in general and Prophet (s) in particular it’s all the more important to logically explain such matters to modern reader in 21st century and may be for centuries to come, the main aim of this endeavor. Following historical realities in light of Quranic ordains clearly elucidates this situation.     

1. After battle of Badar when Muslims attained a clear victory, 70 Quraysh were dead including most of their leaders, Prophet (s) made captives in big number to avoid bloodshed, treated them with kindness and released them on equitable conditions. Allah reprimanded the Prophet (s) and Muslims expressing displeasure for this particular act of kindness on their part, basically violating certain principles and strategy of war laid previously laid down for the purpose; Quran elaborates it in following words.

 It does not behoove a prophet to keep captives until he has crushed down the enemies in the land. You desire the gains of this world, but Allah desires (for you the good of) the Hereafter; and Allah is All-Powerful, All-Wise. Had there not been a decree that had already been given by Allah, (Note 1) you would have incurred a severe chastisement in consequence of what you have taken. So eat of what you have taken as spoils for it is lawful and pure. And fear Allah. 49 Surely Allah is Forgiving and Compassionate”. (8:67-69)

Note 1: reference here is made to 47:4 which clearly had laid down rules regarding PW, only allowing after enemy is fully subdued in in an overall WAR scenario and not a single combat in a battle. However final decision on the part of the Prophet (s) after thorough consultation with his companions who were split over decision regarding PWs could be an error of interpretation and Ijtihad, which is why with reference to previous ordain, Allah pardons the Prophet (s) and the Muslims as a whole. 

“Therefore, when you meet the disbelievers in the battle-field, first smite their necks. Then, when you have crushed them completely, bind the prisoners tight. After that (you have the choice) whether you show them favor or accept ransom, until the war lays down its arms. 8 So shall you do. Had Allah willed, He would Himself have dealt with them. But (He has adopted this way so that) He may test some of you by means of others. 9 And those who are killed in the way of Allah, Allah will never let their deeds go waste. 10 (47:4-6)

Killing of Kaab bin Ashraf

Bukhari Volume 3, Book 48, Number 2510:

Narrated Jabir bin 'Abdullah:

Allah's Apostle (s) said, "Who would kill Ka'b bin Al-Ashraf as he has harmed Allah and His Apostle?" Muhammad bin Maslama (got up and) said, "I will kill him." So, Muhammad bin Maslama went to Ka'b and said, "I want a loan of one or two Wasqs of food grains." Ka'b said, "Mortgage your women to me." Muhammad bin Maslama said, "How can we mortgage our women, and you are the most handsome among the Arabs?" He said, "Then mortgages your sons to me." Muhammad said, "How can we mortgage our sons, as the people will abuse them for being mortgaged for one or two Wasqs of food grains? It is shameful for us. But we will mortgage our arms to you." So, Muhammad bin Maslama promised him that he would come to him next time. They (Muhammad bin Maslama and his companions came to him as promised and murdered him. Then they went to the Prophet and told him about it.

Bukhari Volume 4, Book 56, Number 3031:

Narrated Jabir bin 'Abdullah:

The Prophet (s) said, "Who is ready to kill Ka'b bin Al-Ashraf who has really hurt Allah and His Apostle?" Muhammad bin Maslama said, "O Allah's Apostle! Do you like me to kill him?" He replied in the affirmative. So, Muhammad bin Maslama went to him (i.e. Ka'b) and said, "This person (i.e. the Prophet) has put us to task and asked us for charity." Ka'b replied, "By Allah, you will get tired of him." Muhammad said to him, "We have followed him, so we dislike leaving him till we see the end of his affair." Muhammad bin Maslama went on talking to him in this way till he got the chance to kill him.

(15) CHAPTER. The killings of Ka’b bin Al Ashraf.

Bukhari Volume 5, Book 64, Number 4037:

Narrated Jabir bin 'Abdullah:

Allah's Apostle (s) said, "Who is willing to kill Ka'b bin Al-Ashraf who has hurt Allah and His Apostle?" Thereupon Muhammad bin Maslama got up saying, "O Allah's Apostle! Would you like that I kill him?" The Prophet (s) said, "Yes," Muhammad bin Maslama said, "Then allow me to say a (false) thing (i.e. to deceive Kab). "The Prophet (s) said, "You may say it." Then Muhammad bin Maslama went to Kab and said, "That man (i.e. Muhammad demands Sadaqa (i.e. Zakat) from us, and he has troubled us, and I have come to borrow something from you." On that, Kab said, "By Allah, you will get tired of him!" Muhammad bin Maslama said, "Now as we have followed him, we do not want to leave him unless and until we see how his end is going to be. Now we want you to lend us a camel load or two of food." (Difference is there between narrators about one camel load or two.) Kab said, "Yes, (I will lend you), but you should mortgage something to me." Muhammad bin Maslama and his companion said, "What do you want?" Ka'b replied, "Mortgage your women to me." They said, "How can we mortgage our women to you and you are the most handsome of the 'Arabs?" Ka'b said, "Then mortgages your sons to me." They said, "How can we mortgage our sons to you? Later they would be abused by the people's saying that so-and-so has been mortgaged for a camel load of food. That would cause us great disgrace, but we will mortgage our arms to you." Muhammad bin Maslama and his companion promised Kab that Muhammad would return to him. He came to Kab at night along with Kab's foster brother, Abu Na'ila. Kab invited them to come into his fort, and then he went down to them. His wife asked him, "Where are you going at this time?" Kab replied, "None but Muhammad bin Maslama and my (foster) brother Abu Na'ila have come." His wife said, "I hear a voice as if dropping blood is from him, Ka'b said. “They are none but my brother Muhammad bin Maslama and my foster brother Abu Naila. A generous man should respond to a call at night even if invited to be killed." Muhammad bin Maslama went with two men. (Some narrators mention the men as 'Abu bin Jabr. Al Harith bin Aus and Abbad bin Bishr). So Muhammad bin Maslama went in together with two men, and sail to them, "When Ka'b comes, I will touch his hair and smell it, and when you see that I have got hold of his head, strip him. I will let you smell his head." Kab bin Al-Ashraf came down to them wrapped in his clothes, and diffusing perfume. Muhammad bin Maslama said’ “Have never smelt a better scent than this. Ka'b replied. "I have got the best 'Arab women who know how to use the high class of perfume." Muhammad bin Maslama requested Ka'b "Will you allow me to smell your head?" Ka'b said, "Yes." Muhammad smelt it and made his companions smell it as well. Then he requested Ka'b again, "Will you let me (smell your head)?" Ka'b said, "Yes." When Muhammad got a strong hold of him, he said (to his companions), "Get at him!" So they killed him and went to the Prophet (s) and informed him. (Abu Rafi) was killed after Ka'b bin Al-Ashraf."

Killing of Abu Rafi

Bukhari Volume 4, Book 56, Number 3022: [Volume 5 No 4039]

Narrated Al-Bara bin Azib:

Allah's Apostle (s) sent a group of Ansari men to kill Abu-Rafi. One of them set out and entered their (i.e. the enemies) fort. That man said, "I hid myself in a stable for their animals. They closed the fort gate. Later they lost a donkey of theirs, so they went out in its search. I, too, went out along with them, pretending to look for it. They found the donkey and entered their fort. And I, too, entered along with them. They closed the gate of the fort at night, and kept its keys in a small window where I could see them. When those people slept, I took the keys and opened the gate of the fort and came upon Abu Rafi and said, 'O Abu Rafi. When he replied me, I proceeded towards the voice and hit him. He shouted and I came out to come back, pretending to be a helper. I said, 'O Abu Rafi, changing the tone of my voice. He asked me, 'What do you want; woe to your mother?' I asked him, 'What has happened to you?' He said, 'I don't know who came to me and hit me.' Then I drove my sword into his belly and pushed it forcibly till it touched the bone. Then I came out, filled with puzzlement and went towards a ladder of theirs in order to get down but I fell down and sprained my foot. I came to my companions and said, 'I will not leave till I hear the wailing of the women.' So, I did not leave till I heard the women bewailing Abu Rafi, the merchant pf Hijaz. Then I got up, feeling no ailment, (and we proceeded) till we came upon the Prophet and informed him."

Bukhari Volume 4, Book 56, Number 3023:

Narrated Al-Bara bin Azib:

Allah's Apostle (s) sent a group of the Ansar to Abu Rafi. Abdullah bin Atik entered his house at night and killed him while he was sleeping.

Fake Kaba demolished

(63) CHAPTER. Ghazwa Dhul-Khalasa.

Bukhari Volume 5, Book 64, Number 4355: [4356-4357]

Narrated Jarir:

In the Pre-lslamic Period of Ignorance there was a house called Dhu-l-Khalasa or Al-Ka'ba Al-Yamaniya or Al-Ka'ba Ash-Shamiya. The Prophet (s) said to me, "Won't you relieve me from Dhu-l-Khalasa?" So I set out with one-hundred-and-fifty riders, and we dismantled it and killed whoever was present there. Then I came to the Prophet (s) and informed him, and he invoked good upon us and Al-Ahmas (tribe).

Note: Some biographers do mention names  tribes who entered Islam in 10 AH, the Year of Deputation and requested the Prophet (s) to assist them in destroying their old worshiping places, idols etc. it looks Ash- Shamiya tribe was also among these people.

No comments:

Post a Comment