If thee shall go in search of knowledge thou shall come across a truth & the ultimate truth is Allah

Thursday 19 August 2021

COMPANIONS - UMAR SPECIAL - II

 Umar Special – II


(1) Umar deciding in light of
Quran and Sunnah

Blood money for beating pregnant women losing her baby.

Volume 9, Book 96-HOLDING FAST TO THE QUR'AN AND THE SUNNAH, Number 7317:

Narrated Al-Mugira bin Shu'ba;

'Umar bin Al-Khattab asked (the people) about the Imlas” of a woman, (i.e. a woman who has an abortion because of having been beaten on her abdomen), saying, "Who among you has heard anything about it from the Prophet (s)?" I said, "I did." He said, "What is that?" I said, "I heard the Prophet (s) saying, 'Its Diya (blood-money) is either a male or a female slave'." 'Umar said, "Do not leave till you present witness in support of your statement. "

Bukhari Volume 2, Book 25, Number 1724:

Narrated Abu Musa:

I came upon Allah's Apostle when he was at Al-Batha. He asked me, "Have you intended to perform the Hajj?" I replied in the affirmative. He asked, "For what have you assumed lhram?" I replied," I have assumed Ihram with the same intention as that of the Prophet (s)." The Prophet (s) said, "You have done well! Go and perform Tawaf round the Ka'ba and between Safa and Marwa." Then I went to one of the women of Bani Qais and she took out lice from my head. Later, I assumed the Ihram for Hajj. So, I used to give this verdict to the people till the caliphate of 'Umar. When I told him about it, he said, "If we take (follow) the Holy Book, then it orders us to complete Hajj and 'Umra (Hajj-at-Tamattu') and if we follow the tradition of Allah's Apostle (s) then Allah's Apostle (s) did not finish his lhram till the Hadi had reached its destination (had been slaughtered). (i.e., Hajj-al-Qiran). (See Hadith No. 630)

Bukhari Volume 3, Book 26, Number 1795:

Narrated Abu Musa Al-Ashari:

I came to the Prophet (s) at Al-Batha' while his camel was kneeling down and he asked me, "Have you intended to perform the Hajj?" I replied in the affirmative. He asked me, 'With what intention have you assumed Ihram?" I replied, "I have assumed Ihram with the same intention as that of the Prophet (s). He said, "You have done well. Perform the Tawaf of the Ka'ba and (the Sai) between As-Safa and Al-Marwa and then finish the Ihram." So, I performed the Tawaf around the Ka'ba and the Sai) between As-Safa and Al-Marwa and then went to a woman of the tribe of Qais who cleaned my head from lice. Later I assumed the Ihram for Hajj. I used to give the verdict of doing the same till the caliphate of 'Umar who said, "If you follow the Holy Book then it orders you to remain in the state of Ihram till you finish from Hajj, if you follow the Prophet (s) then he did not finish his Ihram till the Hadi (sacrifice) had reached its place of slaughtering (Hajj-al-Qiran)."

(2) Umar’s advisors were religious scholars
“Qurra” knowing Qur'an by heart

Bukhari Volume 9, Book 96, Number 7286:

Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Abbas:

Uyaina bin Hisn bin Hudhaifa bin Badar came and stayed (at Medina) with his nephew Al-Hurr bin Qais bin Hisn who has one of those whom 'Umar used to keep near him, as the Qurra' (learned men knowing Quran by heart) were the people of Umar's meetings and his advisors whether they were old or young. 'Uyaina said to his nephew, "O my nephew! Have you an approach to this chief so as to get for me the permission to see him?" His nephew said, "I will get the permission for you to see him." (Ibn 'Abbas added) So he took the permission for 'Uyaina, and when the latter entered, he said, "O the son of Al-Khattab! By Allah, you neither give us sufficient provision nor judge among us with justice." On that 'Umar became so furious that he intended to harm him. Al-Hurr, said, "O’ Chief of the Believers!" Allah said to His Apostle

'Hold to forgiveness, command what is good (right), but turn away from the ignorant. (i.e., do not punish them).' (7:199) and this person is among the foolish." By Allah, 'Umar did not overlook that Ayah when Al-Hurr recited it before him, and 'Umar said to observe (the orders of) Allah's Book strictly." (See Hadith No. 4642, Vol. 6)

(3) “Azan” Umar suggested the call for
prayers by a man

Bukhari Volume 1, Book 10, Number 604: [3457]

Narrated Ibn 'Umar:

When the Muslims arrived at Medina, they used to assemble for the prayer, and used to guess the time for it. During those days, the practice of Adhan for the prayers had not been introduced yet. Once they discussed this problem regarding the call for prayer. Some people suggested the use of a bell like the Christians, others proposed a trumpet like the horn used by the Jews, but 'Umar was the first to suggest that a man should call (the people) for the prayer; so Allah's Apostle (s) ordered Bilal to get up and pronounce the Adhan for prayers.

(4) Love for Ansar

(5) CHAPTER. "And (it is also for) those who, before them, had homes (in Al-Madina) and had adopted the Faith... (59:9)

Bukhari Volume 6, Book 65, Number 4888:

Narrated 'Umar:

I recommend that my successor should take care of and secure the rights of the early emigrants; and I also advise my successor to be kind to the Ansar, who had homes (in Medina) and had adopted the Faith, before the Prophet (s) migrated to them, and to accept the good from their good ones and excuse their wrong doers.

 (5) Umar married to Ali’s daughter

Bukhari Volume 4, Book 56, Number 2881: [Volume 5 No 4071]

Narrated Tha'laba bin Abi Malik:

'Umar bin Al-Khattab distributed some garments amongst the women of Medina. One good garment remained, and one of those present with him said, "O chief of the believers! Give this garment to your wife, the (grand) daughter of Allah's Apostle (s)." They meant Um Kulthum, the daughter of 'Ali. 'Umar said, Um Salit has more right (to have it)." Um Salit was amongst those Ansari women who had given the pledge of allegiance to Allah's Apostle.' 'Umar said, "She (i.e. Um Salit) used to carry the water skins for us on the day of Uhud."

 (6) Umar requested Aisha’s permission allowed to
be buried with Prophet (s) & Abu Bakar

Bukhari Volume 9, Book 96, Number 7328:

Narrated Hisham's father:

'Umar sent a message to 'Aisha, saying, "Will you allow me to be buried with my two companions (the Prophet and Abu Bakr)?" She said, "Yes, by Allah." though it was her habit that if a man from among the companions (of the Prophet) sent her a message asking her to allow him to be buried there, she would say, "No, by Allah, I will never give permission to anyone to be buried with them."

(7) Surah Tahreem details given by Umar

(31) CHAPTER. The Prophet; used to be contented with whatever clothes or mats were available.

Bukhari Volume 7, Book 77, Number 5843:

Narrated Ibn 'Abbas:

For one year I wanted to ask 'Umar about the two women who helped each other against the Prophet (s) but I was afraid of him. One day he dismounted his riding animal and went among the trees of Arak to answer the call of nature, and when he returned, I asked him and he said, "(They were) 'Aisha and Hafsa." Then he added, "We never used to give significance to ladies in the days of the Pre-Islamic period of ignorance, but when Islam came and Allah mentioned their rights, we used to give them their rights but did not allow them to interfere in our affairs. Once there was some dispute between me and my wife and she answered me back in a loud voice. I said to her, 'Strange! You can retort in this way?' She said, 'Yes. Do you say this to me while your daughter troubles Allah's Apostle?' So I went to Hafsa and said to her, 'I warn you not to disobey Allah and His Apostle.' I first went to Hafsa and then to Um Salama and told her the same. She said to me, 'O 'Umar! It surprises me that you interfere in our affairs so much that you would poke your nose even into the affairs of Allah's Apostle (s) and his wives.' So she rejected my advice. There was an Ansari man; whenever he was absent from Allah's Apostle (s) and I was present there, I used to convey to him what had happened (on that day), and when I was absent and he was present there, he used to convey to me what had happened as regards news from Allah's Apostle . During that time all the rulers of the nearby lands had surrendered to Allah's Apostle (s) except the king of Ghassan in Sham, and we were afraid that he might attack us. All of a sudden the Ansari came and said, 'A great event has happened!' I asked him, 'What is it? Has the Ghassani (king) come?' He said, 'Greater than that! Allah's Apostle (s) has divorced his wives! I went to them and found all of them weeping in their dwellings, and the Prophet (s) had ascended to an upper room of his. At the door of the room there was a slave to whom I went and said, "Ask the permission for me to enter." He admitted me and I entered to see the Prophet (s) lying on a mat that had left its imprint on his side. Under his head there was a leather pillow stuffed with palm fires. Behold! There were some hides hanging there and some grass for tanning. Then I mentioned what I had said to Hafsa and Um Salama and what reply Um Salama had given me. Allah's Apostle (s) smiled and stayed there for twenty nine days and then came down." (See Hadith No. 2468, Volume 3 for details)  

(8) Thinking of something during As-Salat
Umar organizing troops

(18) CHAPTER. Thinking of something during As-Salat (the prayer);

'Umar said, "I think of organizing my troops while I am in Salat (prayer)."

Bukhari Volume 2, Book 21, Number 1221:

Narrated 'Uqba bin Al-Harith:

I offered the 'Asr prayer with the Prophet (s) and after finishing the prayer with Taslim he got up quickly and went to some of his wives and then came out. He noticed the signs of astonishment on the faces of the people caused by his speed. He then said, "I remembered while I was in my prayer that a piece of gold was lying in my house and I disliked that it should remain with us throughout the night, and so I have ordered it to be distributed."

(9) Decline in relations with Ali after
death of Prophet (s)

Bukhari Volume 5, Book 62, Number Page 47:

(9) CHAFFER. The merits of 'All bin Abi Talib Al-Qurashi A1-Hashimi, Abul-Hasan;

The Prophet (s) said to 'Ali, "You are from me and I am from you." 'Umar said (about 'Ali), "Before Allah's Messenger died, he had been pleased with him."

You are from me I am from you – Background adoption of Hamza’s daughter

Ali you are from me – Background adoption of Hamza’s daughter

(44) CHAPTER. The 'Umra Al-Qada' (i.e. an 'Umra performed in lieu of an abandoned or missed or being prevented 'Umra.)

Bukhari Volume 5, Book 64, Number 4251:

Narrated Al-Bara:

When the Prophet (s) went out for the 'Umra in the month of Dhal-Qa'da, the people of Mecca did not allow him to enter Mecca till he agreed to conclude a peace treaty with them by virtue of which he would stay in Mecca for three days only (in the following year). When the agreement was being written, the Muslims wrote: "This is the peace treaty, which Muhammad, Apostle of Allah has concluded."

The infidels said (to the Prophet), "We do not agree with you on this, for if we knew that you are Apostle of Allah we would not have prevented you for anything (i.e. entering Mecca, etc.), but you are Muhammad (s), the son of 'Abdullah." Then he said to 'Ali, "Erase (the name of) 'Apostle of Allah'." 'Ali said, "No, by Allah, I will never erase you (i.e. your name)." Then Allah's Apostle (s) took the writing sheet...and he did not know a better writing and he wrote or got it the following written! "This is the peace treaty which Muhammad, the son of 'Abdullah, has concluded: "Muhammad should not bring arms into Mecca except sheathed swords, and should not take with him any person of the people of Mecca even if such a person wanted to follow him, and if any of his companions wants to stay in Mecca, he should not forbid him."

(In the next year) when the Prophet (s) entered Mecca and the allowed period of stay elapsed, the infidels came to Ali and said "Tell your companion (Muhammad) to go out, as the allowed period of his stay has finished." So the Prophet (s) departed (from Mecca) and the daughter of Hamza followed him shouting "O Uncle, O Uncle!" Ali took her by the hand and said to Fatima, "Take the daughter of your uncle." So she made her ride (on her horse). (When they reached Medina) 'Ali, Zaid and Jafar quarreled about her. 'Ali said, "I took her for she is the daughter of my uncle." Jafar said, "She is the daughter of my uncle and her aunt is my wife." Zaid said, "She is the daughter of my brother." On that, the Prophet gave her to her aunt and said, "The aunt is of the same status as the mother." He then said to 'Ali, "You are from me, and I am from you," and said to Ja'far, "You resemble me in appearance and character," and said to Zaid, "You are our brother and our freed slave." 'Ali said to the Prophet (s) 'Won't you marry the daughter of Hamza?" The Prophet (s) said, "She is the daughter of my foster brother."

Bukhari Volume 3, Book 53, Number 2699:

Narrated Al-Bara:

When the Prophet (s) intended to perform 'Umra in the month of Dhul-Qada, the people of Mecca did not let him enter Mecca till he settled the matter with them by promising to stay in it for three days only. When the document of treaty was written, the following was mentioned: 'these are the terms on which Muhammad, Allah's Apostle agreed (to make peace).' They said, "We will not agree to this, for if we believed that you are Allah's Apostle we would not prevent you, but you are Muhammad bin 'Abdullah." The Prophet (s) said, "I am Allah's Apostle and also Muhammad bin 'Abdullah." Then he said to 'Ali, "Rub off (the words) 'Allah's Apostle' ", but 'Ali said, "No, by Allah, I will never rub off your name." So, Allah's Apostle (s) took the document and wrote, 'This is what Muhammad bin 'Abdullah has agreed upon: No arms will be brought into Mecca except in their cases, and nobody from the people of Mecca will be allowed to go with him (i.e. the Prophet) even if he wished to follow him and he (the Prophet) will not prevent any of his companions from staying in Mecca if the latter wants to stay.' When the Prophet (s)   entered Mecca and the time limit passed, the Meccans went to 'Ali and said, "Tell your Friend (i.e. the Prophet) to go out, as the period (agreed to) has passed." So, the Prophet (s) went out of Mecca. The daughter of Hamza ran after them (i.e. the Prophet and his companions), calling, "O Uncle! O Uncle!" 'Ali received her and led her by the hand and said to Fatima, "Take your uncle's daughter." Zaid and Jaffar quarreled about her. 'Ali said, "I have more right to her as she is my uncle's daughter." Jaffar said, "She is my uncle's daughter, and her aunt is my wife." Zaid said, "She is my brother's daughter." The Prophet (s) judged that she should be given to her aunt, and said that the aunt was like the mother. He then said to 'Ali, "You are from me and I am from you", and said to Jaffar, "You resemble me both in character and appearance", and said to Zaid, "You are our brother (in faith) and our freed slave."

Translator’s Note: The Prophet (s) had established the bond of brotherhood between Zaid, his freed slave, and Hamza, the Prophet's uncle. This is why Zaid said, "She is my brother's daughter." The Prophet in addressing the three persons claiming the right of taking Hamza's daughter is consoling them by relating them to himself, so that they would not be dissatisfied with his judgment.

Bukhari Volume 5, Book 62, Page Number 47:

(9) CHAFFER. The merits of 'All bin Abi Talib Al-Qurashi A1-Hãshimi, Abul-Hasan

The Prophet (s) said to 'All, "You are from me and I am from you." 'Umar said (about 'Ali), "Before Allah’s Messenger died, he had been pleased with him."

Bukhari Volume 5, Book 64, Page Number 408:

(75) CHAPTER. The arrival of AI-Ash'ariyun and the people of Yemen;

Abu Musa said, "The Prophet (a) said, 'They are from me and I am from them'."

Note: Shows it was an expression in vogue or Prophet’s way of showing special compassion.

(10) Umar strongly wanting Abu Bakar to be
the caliph after death of Prophet (s)

Bukhari Volume 9, Book 93, Number 7219:

Narrated Anas bin Malik:

That he heard 'Umar's second speech he delivered when he sat on the pulpit on the day following the death of the Prophet (s)'Umar recited the Tashahhud (none has the right to be worshipped but Allah, and Muhammad is His slave and His Messenger.) while Abu Bakr was silent. 'Umar said, "I wish that Allah's Apostle (s) had outlived all of us, i.e., had been the last (to die). But if Muhammad (s) is dead, Allah nevertheless has kept the light (Quran) amongst you from which you can receive the same guidance as Allah guided Muhammad with that. And Abu Bakr is the companion of Allah's Apostle (s). He is the second of the two in the cave. He is the most entitled person among the Muslims to manage your affairs. Therefore get up and swear allegiance to him." Some people had already taken the oath of allegiance to him in the shed of Bani Sa'ida but the oath of allegiance taken by the public was taken at the pulpit. I heard 'Umar saying to Abu Bakr on that day. "Please ascend the pulpit," and kept on urging him till he ascended the pulpit whereupon, all the people swore allegiance to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment