If thee shall go in search of knowledge thou shall come across a truth & the ultimate truth is Allah

Saturday 14 August 2021

COMPANIONS - UMAR - LIFE OF PROPHET (s)

 Umar in Life Time of Prophet (s)



(1) Good relations with brother even if a 
polytheist “Mushrik

Bukhari Volume 8, Book 78, Number 5981:

(9) CHAPTER. To be good to one's brother who is a Mushrik.

Narrated Ibn 'Umar:

My father, seeing a silken cloak being sold, said, "O Allah's Apostle (s)! Buy this and wear it on Fridays and when the foreign delegates pay a visit to you." He (s) said, "This is worn only by that person who will have no share in the Hereafter." Later a few silken cloaks were given to the Prophet (s) as a gift, and he sent one of those cloaks to 'Umar. 'Umar said (to the Prophet), "How can I wear it while you have said about it what you said?" The Prophet (s) said, "I did not give it to you to wear but to sell or to give to someone else to wear." So 'Umar sent it to his (pagan) brother who was from the inhabitants of Mecca before he ('Umar's brother) embraced Islam.

(2) Quest for knowledge relayed with Ansar brother
not to miss teachings of Prophet (s)

Bukhari Volume 9, Book 95, Number 7256:

Narrated 'Umar:

There was a man from the Ansar (who was a friend of mine). If he was not present in the company of Allah's Apostle (s) I used to be present with Allah's Apostle (s), I would tell him what I used to hear from Allah's Apostle (s), and when I was absent from Allah's Apostle (s) he used to be present with him, and he would tell me what he used to hear from Allah's Apostle (s).

 (3) Abu Bakar Umar repentance having raised
their 
voice in front of Prophet (s)

Bukhari Volume 9, Book 96, Number 7302:

Narrated Ibn Abi Mulaika:

Once the two righteous men, i.e., Abu Bakr and 'Umar were on the verge of destruction (and that was because): When the delegate of Bani Tamim came to the Prophet (s), one of them (either Abu Bakr or 'Umar) recommended Al-Aqra' bin Habis At-Tamimi Al-Hanzali, the brother of Bani Majashi (to be appointed as their chief), while the other recommended somebody else. Abu Bakr said to 'Umar, "You intended only to oppose me." 'Umar said, "I did not intend to oppose you!" Then their voices grew louder in front of the Prophet (s) whereupon there was revealed: 'O you who believe! Do not raise your voices above the voice of the Prophet (s) a great reward.' (49.2-3) Ibn Az-Zubair said, 'Thence forward when 'Umar talked to the Prophet (s), he would talk like one who whispered a secret and would even fail to make the Prophet (s) hear him, in which case the Prophet (s) would ask him (to repeat his words)."

(4) Incidents related to Umar’s 
conversion to Islam

Bukhari Volume 5, Book 63, Number 3862:

Narrated Qais:

I heard Said bin Zaid bin 'Amr bin Nufail saying in the mosque of Al-Kufa. "By Allah, I have seen myself tied and forced by 'Umar to leave Islam before 'Umar himself embraced Islam. And if the mountain of Uhud could move from its place for the evil which you people have done to 'Uthman, then it would have the right to move from its place."

Bukhari Volume 5, Book 63, Number 3863:

Narrated 'Abdullah bin Mus'ud:

We have been powerful since 'Umar embraced Islam.

Bukhari Volume 5, Book 63, Number 3864:

Narrated 'Abdullah bin Umar:

While 'Umar was at home in a state of fear, there came Al-'As bin Wail As-Sahmi Abu 'Amr, wearing an embroidered cloak and a shirt having silk hems. He was from the tribe of Bani Sahm who were our allies during the pre-Islamic period of ignorance. Al-'As said to 'Umar "What is wrong with you?" He said, "Your people claim that they would kill me if I become a Muslim." Al-'As said, "Nobody will harm you after I have given protection to you." So Al-'As went out and met the people streaming in the whole valley, he said, "Where are you going?" They said, "We want Ibn Al-Khattab who has embraced Islam." Al-'As said, "There is no way for anybody to touch him." So the people retreated.

Bukhari Volume 5, Book 63, Number 3865:

Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Umar:

When 'Umar embraced Islam, all the (disbelieving) people gathered around his home and said, "'Umar has embraced Islam." At that time I was still a boy and was on the roof of my house. There came a man wearing a cloak of Dibaj (i.e. a kind of silk), and said, "Umar has embraced Islam. Nobody can harm him for I am his protector." I then saw the people going away from 'Umar and asked who the man was, and they said, "Al-'As bin Wail."

Bukhari Volume 5, Book 63, Number 3866:

Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Umar:

I never heard 'Umar saying about something that he thought it would be so-and-so, but he was quite right; once, while 'Umar was sitting, a handsome man passed by him, 'Umar said, "If I am not wrong, this person is still on his religion of the pre-Islamic period of ignorance or he was their foreteller. Call the man to me." When the man was called to him, he told him of his thought. The man said, "I have never seen such a day on which a Muslim is faced with such an accusation." 'Umar said, "I am determined that you should tell me the truth." He said, "I was a foreteller in the pre-Islamic period of ignorance." Then 'Umar said, "Tell me the most astonishing thing your female Jinn have told you of." He said, "One-day while I was in the market, she came to me scared and said, 'haven’t you seen the Jinns and their despair and they were overthrown after their defeat (and prevented from listening to the news of the heaven) so that they (stopped going to the sky and) kept following camel-riders (i.e. 'Arabs)?" 'Umar said, "He is right." and added, "One day while I was near their idols, there came a man with a calf and slaughtered it as a sacrifice (for the idols). An (unseen) creature shouted at him, and I have never heard harsher than his voice. He was crying, 'O you bold evil-doer! A matter of success! An eloquent man is saying: None has the right to be worshipped except you (O Allah).' On that the people fled, but I said, 'I shall not go away till I know what is behind this.' Then the cry came again: 'O you bold evil-doer! A matter of success! An eloquent man is saying: None has the right to be worshipped except Allah.' I then went away and a few days later it was said, "A prophet has appeared."

Bukhari Volume 5, Book 63, Number 3867:

Narrated Qais:

I heard Said bin Zaid saying to the people, "If you but saw me and 'Umar's sister tied and forced by 'Umar to leave Islam while he was not yet a Muslim. And if the mountain of Uhud could move from its place for the evil which you people have done to Uthman, it would have the right to do that."

(5) Abdullah bin Ubai died Umar differed with Prophet (s) latter Allah decided
as per Umar’s wish

Bukhari Volume 2, Book 23, Number 1269:

Narrated Ibn 'Umar:

When 'Abdullah bin Ubai (the chief of hypocrites) died, his son came to the Prophet (s) and said; "O’ Allah's Apostle! Please give me your shirt to shroud him in it, offer his funeral prayer and ask for Allah's forgiveness for him." So Allah's Apostle (s) gave his shirt to him and said, "Inform me (When the funeral is ready) so that I may offer the funeral prayer." So, he informed him and when the Prophet (s) intended to offer the funeral prayer, 'Umar took hold of his hand and said, "Has Allah not forbidden you to offer the funeral prayer for the hypocrites? The Prophet (s) said, "I have been given the choice for Allah says: '(It does not avail) whether you (O Muhammad) ask forgiveness for them (hypocrites), or do not ask for forgiveness for them. Even though you ask for their forgiveness seventy times, Allah will not forgive them. (9.80)" So the Prophet offered the funeral prayer and on that the revelation came: "And never (O Muhammad) pray (funeral prayer) for any of them (i.e. hypocrites) that dies." (9. 84)  

(84) CHAPTER. It is disliked to offer the funeral prayer for the hypocrites, and to ask Allah's Forgiveness for the Muslrikun (polytheists, pagans, etc.).

 This is narrated by Ibn 'Umar on the authority of the Prophet(s)

Bukhari Volume 2, Book 23, Number 1366:

Narrated 'Umar bin Al-Khattab:

When 'Abdullah bin Ubai bin Salul died, Allah's Apostle (s) was called upon to offer his funeral prayer. When Allah's Apostle (s) stood up to offer the prayer, I got up quickly and said, "O Allah's Apostle! Are you going to pray for Ibn Ubai and he said so and so, on such and such occasions?" and started mentioning all that he had said. Allah's Apostle (s) smiled and said, "O 'Umar! Go away from me." When I talked too much he said, "I have been given the choice and so I have chosen (to offer the prayer). Had I known that he would be forgiven by asking for Allah's forgiveness for more than seventy times, surely I would have done so." ('Umar added): Allah's Apostle (s) offered his funeral prayer and returned and after a short while the two Ayahs of Surat Bara' were revealed: i.e. "And never (O Muhammad) pray for any of them who dies . . . (to the end of the verse) rebellion (9.84)" -- ('Umar added), "Later I astonished at my daring before Allah's Apostle on that day. And Allah and His Apostle know better."   

Bukhari Volume 7, Book 77, Number 5796:

Narrated Abdullah bin 'Umar:

When Abdullah bin Ubdi (bin Salul) died, his son came to Allah's Apostle (s) and said ' O Allah's Apostle, give me your shirt so that I may shroud my father’s body in it. And please offer a funeral prayer for him and invoke Allah for his forgiveness." The Prophet (s) gave him his shirt and said to him 'Inform us when you finish (and the funeral procession is ready) call us. When he had finished he told the Prophet (s) and the Prophet (s) proceeded to order his funeral prayers but Umar stopped him and said, "Didn't Allah forbid you to offer the funeral prayer for the hypocrites when He said: 

"Whether you (O Muhammad) ask forgiveness for them or ask not forgiveness for them: (and even) if you ask forgiveness for them seventy times. Allah will not forgive them." (9.80)

Then there was revealed:

"And never (O Muhammad) pray for any of them that dies, nor stand at his grave." (9.34) Thenceforth the Prophet did not offer funeral prayers for the hypocrites.

(6) Hudybia Umar’s strong reaction 
latter repented severely

(1) CHAPTER. The Statement of Allah; "Verily, We have given you (0’ Muhammad) a manifest victory." (V.48:1)

Bukhari Volume 6, Book 65, Number 4833:

Narrated Aslam:

While Allah's Apostle (s) was proceeding at night during one of his journeys and 'Umar bin Al-Khattab was traveling beside him, 'Umar asked him about something but Allah's Apostle (s) did not reply. He asked again, but he did not reply, and then he asked (for the third time) but he did not reply. On that, 'Umar bin Al-Khattab said to himself, “Thakilat Ummu” 'Umar (May 'Umar's mother lose her son)! I asked Allah's Apostle (s) three times but he did not reply." 'Umar then said, "I made my camel run faster and went ahead of the people, and I was afraid that some Qur'anic Verses might be revealed about me. But before getting involved in any other matter I heard somebody calling me. I said to myself, 'I fear that some Qur'anic Verses have been revealed about me,' and so I went to Allah's Apostle and greeted him.

He (Allah's Apostle) said, 'Tonight a Surah has been revealed to me, and it is dearer to me than that on which the sun rises (i.e. the world)' Then he recited: "Verily, We have given you a manifest victory." (48.1)

Bukhari Volume 6, Book 65, Number 4834:

Narrated Anas:

"Verily, We have given you (O Muhammad) a manifest victory.' refers to Al-Hudaibiya Peace treaty).

(5) CHAPTER. The Statement of Allah; "...When they gave their Baia (pledge) to you (0’ Muhammad) under the tree..." (V.48:18)

Bukhari Volume 6, Book 65, Number 4844:

Narrated Habib bin Abi Thabit:

I went to Abu Wail to ask him (about those who had rebelled against 'Ali). On that Abu Wail said, "We were at Siffin (a city on the bank of the Euphrates, the place where me battle took place between 'Ali and Muawiya) A man said, "Will you be on the side of those who are called to consult Allah's Book (to settle the dispute)?" 'Ali said, 'Yes (I agree that we should settle the matter in the light of the Qur'an)." ‘Some people objected to 'Ali's agreement and wanted to fight. On that Sahl bin Hunaif said, 'Blame your selves! I remember how, on the day of Al-Hudaibiya (i.e. the peace treaty between the Prophet and the Quraish pagans), if we had been allowed to choose fighting, we would have fought (the pagans). At that time 'Umar came (to the Prophet) and said, "Aren't we on the right (path) and they (pagans) in the wrong? Won't our killed persons go to Paradise and theirs in the Fire?" The Prophet (s) replied, "Yes." Umar further said, "Then why should we let our religion be degraded and return before Allah has settled the matter between us?" The Prophet (s) said, "O the son of Al-Khattab! No doubt, I am Allah's Apostle and Allah will never neglect me." So Umar left the place angrily and he was so impatient that he went to Abu Bakr and said, "O Abu Bakr! Aren't we on the right (path) and those (pagans) on the wrong?" Abu Bakr said, "O the son of Al-Khattab! He is Allah's Apostle, and Allah will never neglect him." Then Surah Al-Fath (The Victory) was revealed."

(7) Umar quarrel with Abu Bakar Prophet (s)
used word compassion for Abu Bakar

Bukhari Volume 5, Book 62, Number 3661:

Narrated Abu Ad-Darda:

While I was sitting with the Prophet (s), Abu Bakr came, lifting up one corner of his garment uncovering his knee. The Prophet (s) said, "Your companion has had a quarrel." Abu Bakr greeted (the Prophet) and said, "O Allah's Apostle! There was something (i.e. quarrel) between me and the Son of Al-Khattab. I talked to him harshly and then regretted that, and requested him to forgive me, but he refused. This is why I have come to you." The Prophet (s) said thrice, "O Abu Bakr! May Allah forgive you." In the meanwhile, 'Umar regretted (his refusal of Abu Bakr's excuse) and went to Abu Bakr's house and asked if Abu Bakr was there. They replied in the negative. So he came to the Prophet (s) and greeted him, but signs of displeasure appeared on the face of the Prophet till Abu Bakr pitied ('Umar), so he knelt and said twice, "O Allah's Apostle! By Allah! I was more unjust to him (than he to me)." The Prophet (s) said, "Allah sent me (as a Prophet) to you (people) but you said (to me), 'You are telling a lie,' while Abu Bakr said, 'He has said the truth,' and consoled me with himself and his money." He then said twice, "Won't you then give up harming my companion?" After that nobody harmed Abu Bakr. 

(8) Umar knelt before Prophet (s) seeing
signs of anger 
on needless 
questions by people

Bukhari Volume 9, Book 96, Number 7294:

Narrated Anas bin Malik:

The Prophet (s) came out after the sun had declined and offered the Zuhr prayer (in congregation). After finishing it with Taslim, he stood on the pulpit and mentioned the Hour and mentioned there would happen great events before it. Then he said, "Whoever wants to ask me any question, may do so, for by Allah, you will not ask me about anything but I will inform you of its answer as long as I am at this place of mine." On this, the Ansar wept violently, and Allah's Apostle kept on saying, "Ask Me!” Then a man got up and asked, ''Where will my entrance be, O Allah's Apostle?" The Prophet (s) said, "(You will go to) the Fire." Then 'Abdullah bin Hudhaifa got up and asked, "Who is my father, O Allah's Apostle?" The Prophet (s) replied, "Your father is Hudhaifa." The Prophet (s) then kept on saying (angrily), "Ask me! Ask me!" 'Umar then knelt on his knees and said, "We have accepted Allah as our Lord and Islam as our religion and Muhammad (s) as an Apostle." Allah's Apostle (s) became quiet when 'Umar said that. Then Allah's Apostle (s) said, "By Him in Whose Hand my life is, Paradise and Hell were displayed before me across this wall while I was praying, and I never saw such good and evil as I have seen today."   

No comments:

Post a Comment