If thee shall go in search of knowledge thou shall come across a truth & the ultimate truth is Allah

Wednesday 8 September 2021

COMPANIONS - LOVED PEACE

 COMPANIONS LOVE
FOR PEACE


(1) Companion’s opinion about fighting Fitna  
2:193 when Islam became strong 
“aversion to bloodshed”


(30) CHAPTER. Allah's Statement; "And fight them until there is no more Fitna (disbelief and worshipping of others along with Allah) and (all and every kind of), worship is for Allah (Alone). But if they cease, let there be no transgression except against Az-Zalimun (the polytheists and wrong-doers) ." (V.2:193)

Bukhari Volume 6, Book 65, Number 4513 to 4515:

Narrated Nafi':

During the affliction of Ibn Az-Zubair, two men came to Ibn 'Umar and said, "The people are lost, and you are the son of 'Umar, and the companion of the Prophet (s), so what forbids you from coming out?" He said, "What forbids me is that Allah has prohibited the shedding of my brother's blood." They both said, "Didn't Allah say, 'and fight then until there is no more affliction?" He said "We fought until there were no more afflictions and the worship is for Allah (Alone while you want to fight until there is affliction and until the worship become for other than Allah."

Narrated Nafi (through another group of sub-narrators): A man came to Ibn 'Umar and said, "O Abu Abdur Rahman! What made you perform Hajj in one year and Umra in another year and leave the Jihad for Allah' Cause though you know how much Allah recommends it?" Ibn 'Umar replied, "O son of my brother! Islam is founded on five principles, i.e. believe in Allah and His Apostle, the five compulsory prayers, the fasting of the month of Ramadan, the payment of Zakat, and the Hajj to the House (of Allah)." The man said, "O Abu Abdur Rahman! Won't you listen to why Allah has mentioned in His Book: 'If two groups of believers fight each other, then make peace between them, but if one of then transgresses beyond bounds against the other, then you all fight against the one that transgresses. (49.9) and:--"And fight them till there is no more afflictions (i.e. no more worshiping of others along with Allah)." Ibn 'Umar said, "We did it, during the lifetime of Allah's Apostle when Islam had only a few followers (Islam was weak). A man would be put to trial because of his religion; he would either be killed or tortured. But when the Muslims increased, there was no more an affliction or oppressions." The man said, "What is your opinion about 'Uthman and 'Ali?" Ibn 'Umar said, "As for 'Uthman, it seems that Allah has forgiven him, but you people dislike that he should be forgiven. And as for 'Ali, he is the cousin of Allah's Apostle and his son-in-law." Then he pointed with his hand and said, "That is his house which you see."

 (2) Companions differed with ruler yet lived
in peace - Muawiya

Bukhari Volume 2, Book 24, Number 1406:

Narrated Zaid bin Wahab:

I passed by a place called Ar-Rabadha and by chance I met Abu Dhar and asked him, "What has brought you to this place?" He said, "I was in Sham and differed with Muawiya on the meaning of (the following Ayah of the Quran): 'They who hoard up gold and silver and spend them not in the way of Allah.' (9.34). Muawiya said, 'This Ayah is revealed regarding the people of the scriptures." I said, it was revealed regarding us and also the people of the scriptures." So we had a quarrel and Muawiya sent a complaint against me to 'Uthman. 'Uthman wrote to me to come to Medina, and I came to Medina. Many people came to me as if they had not seen me before. So I told this to 'Uthman who said to me, "You may depart and live nearby if you wish." That was the reason for my being here for even if an Ethiopian had been nominated as my ruler, I would have obeyed him.

(3) Companions peacefully going for Jihad under
“Yazid bin Muawiya” differences created 
latter by trouble mongers 

Bukhari Volume 2, Book 21, Number 1185-1186:

Narrated Mahmud bin Ar-rabi' Al-Ansari,

1185. that he remembered Allah's Apostle (s) and he also remembered a mouthful of water which he had thrown on his face, after taking it from a well that was in their house.

1186. Mahmud said that he had heard Itban bin Malik, who was present with Allah's Apostle (s) in the battle of Badar saying, "I used to lead my people at Bani Salim in the prayer and there was a valley between me and those people. Whenever it rained it used to be difficult for me to cross it to go to their mosque. So I went to Allah's Apostle (s) and said, 'I have weak eye-sight and the valley between me and my people flows during the rainy season and it becomes difficult for me to cross it; I wish you would come to my house and pray at a place so that I could take that place as a praying place.' Allah's Apostle said, 'I will do so.' So Allah's Apostle and Abu Bakr came to my house in the (next) morning after the sun had risen high. Allah's Apostle (s) asked my permission to let him in and I admitted him. He did not sit before saying, 'Where do you want us to offer the prayer in your house?' I pointed to the place where I wanted him to pray. So Allah's Apostle stood up for the prayer and started the prayer with Takbir and we aligned in rows behind him; and he offered two Rakat, and finished them with Taslim, and we also performed Taslim with him. I detained him for a meal called "Khazir" which I had prepared for him.--("Khazir" is a special type of dish prepared from barley flour and meat soup)-- 

When the neighbors got the news that Allah's Apostle was in my house, they poured it till there were a great number of men in the house. One of them said, 'What is wrong with Malik, for I do not see him?' One of them replied, 'He is a hypocrite and does not love Allah and His Apostle.' On that Allah's Apostle said, 'Don't say this. Haven't you seen that he said, 'None has the right to be worshipped but Allah for Allah's sake only.' The man replied, 'Allah and His Apostle know better; but by Allah, we never saw him but helping and talking with the hypocrites.' Allah's Apostle replied, 'No doubt, whoever says. None has the right to be worshipped but Allah, and by that he wants the pleasures of Allah, then Allah will save him from Hell." Mahmud added, "I told the above narration to some people, one of whom was Abu Aiyub, the companion of Allah's Apostle (s) in the battle in which he (Abu Aiyub) died and Yazid bin Mu'awiya was their leader in Roman Territory. Abu Aiyub denounced the narration and said, 'I doubt that Allah's Apostle (s) ever said what you have said.' I felt that too much, and I vowed to Allah that if I remained alive in that holy battle, I would (go to Medina and) ask Itban bin Malik if he was still living in the mosque of his people. So when he returned, I assumed Ihram for Hajj or 'Umra and then I proceeded on till I reached Medina. I went to Bani Salim and Itban bin Malik, who was by then an old blind man, was leading his people in the prayer. When he finished the prayer, I greeted him and introduced myself to him and then asked him about that narration. He told that narration again in the same manner as he had narrated it the first time."

(4) Companion’s peaceful conduct seeing
discord between Ali & Muawiya

Bukhari Volume 5, Book 64, Number 4108:

Narrated Ikrima bin Khalid:

Ibn 'Umar said, "I went to Hafsa while water was dribbling from her twined braids. I said, 'The condition of the people is as you see, and no authority has been given to me.' Hafsa said, (to me), 'Go to them, and as they (i.e. the people) are waiting for you, and I am afraid your absence from them will produce division amongst them.' “So Hafsa did not leave Ibn 'Umar till we went to them. When the people differed, Muawiya addressed the people saying, "'If anybody wants to say anything in this matter of the Caliphate, he should show up and not conceal himself, for we are more rightful to be a Caliph than he and his father." On that, Habib bin Masalama said (to Ibn 'Umar), "Why don't you reply to him (i.e. Muawiya)?" 'Abdullah bin 'Umar said, "I untied my garment that was going round my back and legs while I was sitting and was about to say, 'He who fought against you and against your father for the sake of Islam, is more rightful to be a Caliph,' but I was afraid that my statement might produce differences amongst the people and cause bloodshed, and my statement might be interpreted not as I intended. (So I kept quiet) remembering what Allah has prepared in the Gardens of Paradise (for those who are patient and prefer the Hereafter to this worldly life). "Habib said, "You did what kept you safe and secure (i.e. you were wise in doing so)."

Bukhari Volume 5, Book 64, Number 4189:

Narrated Abu Wail:

When Sahl bin Hunaif returned from (the battle of) Siffin, we went to ask him (as to why he had come back). He replied, "(You should not consider me a coward) but blame your opinions. I saw myself on the day of Abu Jandal (inclined to fight), and if I had the power of refusing the order of Allah's Apostle (s) then, I would have refused it (and fought the infidels bravely). Allah and His Apostle (s) know (what is convenient) better. Whenever we put our swords on our shoulders for any matter that terrified us, our swords led us to an easy agreeable solution before the present situation (of disagreement and dispute between the Muslims). When we mend the breach in one side, it opened in another, and we do not know what to do about it."

Translator’s note;

1. Battle of Siffin was a battle between 'All and Muawiya.

2. They blamed Sahl for not fighting properly in that battle, but he blamed them for fighting their Muslim brethren.

3. During the peace treaty of A1-Hudaibiya, Abu Jandal, a new convert, sought refuge with the Prophet (s) from the infidels who had persecuted him. But the Prophet (s) abiding by the conditions of the Treaty; returned him to the infidels. The Companions of the Prophet (s) wished that he had not returned him and prepared to fight the infidels.

Peacefully Differed about Usman & Ali

Bukhari Volume 4, Book 56, Number 3081:

Narrated Sad bin 'Ubaida:

Abu Abdur-Rahman who was one of the supporters of Uthman said to Abu Talha who was one of the supporters of Ali, "I perfectly know what encouraged your leader (i.e. 'Ali) to shed blood. I heard him saying: Once the Prophet (s) sent me and Az-Zubair saying, 'Proceed to such-and-such Ar-Roudah (place) where you will find a lady whom Hatib has given a letter. So when we arrived at Ar-Roudah, we requested the lady to hand over the letter to us. She said, 'Hatib has not given me any letter.' We said to her. 'Take out the letter or else we will strip off your clothes.' So she took it out of her braid. So the Prophet (s) sent for Hatib, (who came) and said, 'Don't hurry in judging me, for, by Allah, I have not become a disbeliever, and my love to Islam is increasing. (The reason for writing this letter was) that there is none of your companions but has relatives in Mecca who look after their families and property, while I have nobody there, so I wanted to do them some favor (so that they might look after my family and property).' The Prophet (s) believed him. 'Umar said, 'Allow me to chop off his (i.e. Hatib's) neck as he has done hypocrisy.' The Prophet (s) said, (to 'Umar), 'Who knows, perhaps Allah has looked at the warriors of Badar and said (to them), 'Do whatever you like, for I have forgiven you.' "Abdur-Rahman added, "So this is what encouraged him (i.e. Ali)."

(5) Companion’s opinions about fighting
between Muslims

(5) CHAPTER. "And fight them until there is no more Fitna (disbelief and polytheism, i.e. worshipping others besides Allah) and the religion (worship) will be all for Allah (Alone) (in the whole of the world)..." (V.8:39)

Bukhari Volume 6, Book 65, Number 4651:

Narrated Said bin Jubair:

Ibn 'Umar came to us and a man said (to him), "What do you think about 'Qital-al-Fitnah' (fighting caused by afflictions)." Ibn 'Umar said (to him), "And do you understand what an affliction is? Muhammad used to fight against the pagans, and his fighting with them was against affliction, (and his fighting was) not like you are fighting which is carried on for the sake of ruling."

Bukhari Volume 6, Book 65, Number 4650: [4513 to 4515]

Narrated Ibn 'Umar:

That a man came to him, (while two groups of Muslims were fighting) and said, "O Abu 'Abdur Rahman! Don't you hear what Allah has mentioned in His Book;

'And if two groups of believers fight against each other...' (49.9)

So what prevents you from fighting as Allah has mentioned in His Book?"' Ibn 'Umar said, "O son of my brother! I would rather be blamed for not fighting because of this Verse than to be blamed because of another Verse where Allah says:

'And whoever kills a believer intentionally..." (4.93) Then that man said, "Allah says:-- 'And fight them until there is no more afflictions (worshipping other besides Allah) and the religion (i.e. worship) will be all for Allah (Alone)" (8.39) Ibn 'Umar said, "We did this during the lifetime of Allah's Apostle when the number of Muslims was small, and a man was put to trial because of his religion, the pagans would either kill or chain him; but when the Muslims increased (and Islam spread), there was no persecution." When that man saw that Ibn 'Umar did not agree to his proposal, he said, "What is your opinion regarding 'Ali and 'Uthman?" Ibn 'Umar said, "What is my opinion regarding Ali and 'Uthman? As for 'Uthman, Allah forgave him and you disliked to forgive him, and Ali is the cousin and son-in-law of Allah's Apostle." Then he pointed out with his hand and said, "And that is his daughter's (house) which you can see."

(6) Performed Hajj together in spite of differences
Ibn Umar & Hajjaj bin Youssef

(87) CHAPTER. To proceed at noon on the Day of 'Arafa (9th of Dhul-I1ajah) (from the mosque of Namira towards 'Arafat);

Bukhari Volume 2, Book 25, Number 1660:

Narrated Salim:

'Abdul Malik wrote to Al-Hajjaj that he should not differ from Ibn 'Umar during Hajj, on the Day of 'Arafat, when the sun declined at midday, Ibn 'Umar came along with me and shouted near Al-Hajjaj's cotton (cloth) tent. Al-Hajjaj came out; wrapping himself with a waist-sheet dyed with safflower, and said, "O Abu Abdur-Rahman! What is the matter?" He said, If you want to follow the Sunnah [the tradition of the Prophet (s)] then proceed (to 'Arafat)." Al-Hajjaj asked, "At this very hour?" Ibn 'Umar said, "Yes." He replied, "Please wait for me till I pour some water over my head (i.e. take a bath) and come out." Then Ibn 'Umar dismounted and waited till Al-Hajjaj came out. So, he (Al-Hajjaj) walked in between me and my father (Ibn 'Umar). I said to him, "If you want to follow the Sunnah then deliver a brief sermon and hurry up for the stay at 'Arafat." He started looking at 'Abdullah (Ibn 'Umar inquiringly), and when 'Abdullah noticed that, he said that he had told the truth.

Bukhari Volume 2, Book 25, Number 1662:

Ibn Shihãb said: Salim said, "In the year when A1-Hajjaj bin Yusuf attacked Ibn Az-Zubair the former asked 'Abdullah (Ibn 'Umar) what to do during the stay on the Day of ‘Arafat (9th of Dhul-Hajj). I said to him, 'If you want to follow the Sunnah (the legal way of the Prophet) you should offer the Salat just after midday on the Day of Arafat.' 'Abdullah bin 'Umar said, 'He (Salim) has spoken the truth.' They (the Companions of the Prophet) used to offer the Zohar and the 'Asr prayer together according to the Sunnah, I asked Salim, "Did Allah's Messenger (s) do that?" Salim said, "And in doing that do you (people) follow anything else except his Sunnah?"

Bukhari Volume 2, Book 25, Number 1663:

Narrated Salim bin 'Abdullah bin 'Umar:

'Abdul-Malik bin Marwan wrote to Al-Hajjaj that he should follow 'Abdullah bin 'Umar in all the ceremonies of Hajj. So when it was the Day of 'Arafat (9th of Dhul-Hajj), and after the sun has deviated or has declined from the middle of the sky, I and Ibn 'Umar came and he shouted near the cotton (cloth) tent of Al-Hajjaj, "Where is he?" Al-Hajjaj came out. Ibn 'Umar said, "Let us proceed (to 'Arafat)." Al-Hajjaj asked, "Just now?" Ibn 'Umar replied, "Yes." Al-Hajjaj said, "Wait for me till I pour water on me (i.e. take a bath)." So, Ibn 'Umar dismounted (and waited) till Al-Hajjaj came out. He was walking between me and my father. I informed Al-Hajjaj, "If you want to follow the Sunna today, then you should shorten the sermon and then hurry up for the stay (at 'Arafat)." Ibn 'Umar said, "He (Salim) has spoken the truth."

(7) Prophecy Hassan will make peace between
2 opposing Muslim groups

(9) CHAPTER. The saying of the Prophet (s) to Al-Hasan bin 'Ali, this son of mine is Saiyad (a noble) and may Allah make peace between two big groups (of Muslims) through him." And the Statement of Allah; "... Then make peace between them both....” (49:9)

Bukhari Volume 3, Book 53, Number 2704:

Narrated Al-Hasan Al-Basri:

By Allah, Al-Hasan bin Ali led large battalions like mountains against Muawiya. Amr bin Al-As said (to Muawiya), "I surely see battalions which will not turn back before killing their opponents." Muawiya who was really the better of the two men said to him, "O 'Amr! If these killed those and those killed these, who would be left with me for the jobs of the public, who would be left with me for their women, who would be left with me for their children?" Then Muawiya sent two Quraish men from the tribe of 'Abd-i-Shams called 'Abdur Rahman bin Sumura and Abdullah bin 'Amir Bin Kuraiz to Al-Hasan saying to them, "Go to this man (i.e. Al-Hasan) and negotiate peace with him and talk and appeal to him." So, they went to Al-Hasan and talked and appealed to him to accept peace. Al-Hasan said, "We, the offspring of 'Abdul Muttalib, have got wealth and people have indulged in killing and corruption (and money only will appease them)." They said to Al-Hasan, "Muawiya offers you so and so, and appeals to you and entreats you to accept peace." Al-Hasan said to them, "But who will be responsible for what you have said?" They said, "We will be responsible for it." So, what-ever Al-Hasan asked they said, "We will be responsible for it for you." So, Al-Hasan concluded a peace treaty with Muawiya. Al-Hasan (Al-Basri) said: I heard Abu Bakr saying, "I saw Allah's Apostle on the pulpit and Al-Hasan bin 'Ali was by his side. The Prophet was looking once at the people and once at Al-Hasan bin 'Ali saying, 'This son of mine is a Saiyid (i.e. a noble) and may Allah make peace between two big groups of Muslims through him."

Bukhari Volume 4, Book 61, Number 3629: [3746]

Narrated Abu Bakra:

Once the Prophet (s) brought out Al-Hasan and took him up the pulpit along with him and said, "This son of mine is a Saiyad (i.e. chief) and I hope that Allah will help him bring about reconciliation between two Muslim groups."

Narrated Abu Hurairah the Prophet (s) took and put Al-Hassan, over his shoulder.

Narrated Abu Bakar:

Bukhari Volume 9, Book 92, Number 7109:

(20) CHAPTER. The statement of the Prophet (s) about Al-Hasan bin 'Ali, "This son of mine is a chief, and Allah may make peace between two groups of Muslims through him." And the Statement of Allah; "... Then make peace between them both.. ." (V.49:9)

Narrated Al-Hasan Al-Basri:

When Al-Hasan bin 'Ali moved with army units against Muawiya;-  'Amr bin AL-Aas said to Muawiya, "I see an army that will not retreat unless and until the opposing army retreats." Muawiya said, "(If the Muslims are killed) who will look after their children?" 'Amr bin Al-As said: I (will look after them). On that, 'Abdullah bin 'Amir and 'Abdur-Rahman bin Samura said, "Let us meet Muawiya and suggest peace." Al-Hasan Al-Basri added: No doubt, I heard that Abu Bakra said, "Once while the Prophet was addressing (the people), Al-Hasan (bin 'Ali) came and the Prophet said, 'this son of mine is a (Saiyid) chief, and Allah may make peace between two groups of Muslims through him."

Bukhari Volume 4, Book 61, Number 3629:

Narrated Abu Bakra:

Once the Prophet (s) brought out Al-Hasan and took him up the pulpit along with him and said, "This son of mine is a Saiyid (i.e. chief) and I hope that Allah will help him bring about reconciliation between two Muslim groups."

(22) CHAPTER. The merits of Al-Hasan and Al-Husain

Narrated Abü Hurairah: The Prophet took and put Al-Hassan, over his shoulder.

Bukhari Volume 5, Book 62, Number 3746:

Narrated Abu Bakra:

Narrated Abu Bakar: I heard the Prophet (s) talking at the pulpit while Al-Hassan was sitting beside him, and he (i.e. the Prophet ) was once looking at the people and at another time Al-Hassan, and saying, "This son of mine is a Saiyad (i.e., chief) and perhaps Allah will bring about an agreement between two sects of the Muslims through him."

No comments:

Post a Comment