If thee shall go in search of knowledge thou shall come across a truth & the ultimate truth is Allah

Monday 15 August 2022

HADITH RESEARCH -2

HADITH SPECIAL INFORMATION
COLLECTION STAGE - II

 

(1) CHAPTER.  “(0 you who believe) take not My enemies and your enemies (i.e.  disbelievers and polytheists) as friends...” (V.60:1)

Bukhari Volume 6, Book 65, Number 4890: [6259 Volume 8, No 6939 Volume 9]

Narrated Ali:

Allah's Apostle (s) sent me along with Az-Zubair and Al-Miqdad and said, "Proceed till you reach a place called Raudat-Khakh where there is a lady traveling in a howdah on a camel. She has a letter. Take the letter from her." So we set out, and our horses ran at full pace till we reached Raudat-Khakh, and behold, we saw the lady and said (to her), "Take out the letter!" She said, "I have no letter with me." We said, "Either you take out the letter or we will strip you of your clothes." So she took the letter out of her hair braid. We brought the letter to the Prophet (s) and behold, it was addressed by Hatib bin Abi Balta'a to some pagans at Mecca, informing them of some of the affairs of the Prophet (s). The Prophet (s) said, "What is this, O Hatib?" Hatib replied, "Do not be hasty with me, O Allah's Apostle (s)! I am an Ansari man and do not belong to them (Quraish infidels) while the emigrants who were with you had their relatives who used to protect their families and properties at Mecca. Therefore in order to compensate for not having blood relation with them.' I intended to do them some favor so that they might protect my relatives (at Mecca), and I did not do this out of disbelief or an inclination to desert my religion." The Prophet (s) then said (to his companions), "He (Hatib) has told you the truth." 'Umar said, "O Allah's Apostle (s)! Allow me to chop his head off?" The Apostle (s) said, "He is one of those who witnessed (fought in) the Battle of Badar, and what do you know, perhaps Allah looked upon the people of Badar (Badar warriors) and said, 'Do what you want as I have forgiven you.' "(Amr, a sub-narrator, said; This Verse was revealed about him (Hatib): 

'O’ you who believe; Take not My enemies and your enemies as friends or protectors.' (60.1) Narrated 'Ali: Sufyan was asked whether (the Ayah): 'Take not My enemies and your enemies...' was revealed in connection with Hatib. Sufyan replied, "This occurs only in the narration of the people. I memorized the Hadith from 'Amr, not overlooking even a single letter thereof, and I do not know of anybody who remembered it by heart other than me."

Utmost efforts made by companions to ensure the authenticity of Hadis

Bukhari Volume 3, Book 34, Number 2062:

Narrated 'Ubai bin 'Umar:

Abu Musa asked Umar to admit him but he was not admitted as 'Umar was busy, so Abu Musa went back. When 'Umar finished his job he said; "Didn't I hear the voice of 'Abdullah bin Qais? Let him come in." 'Umar was told that he had left. So, he sent for him and on his arrival, he (Abu Musa) said, "we were ordered to do so (i.e. to leave if not admitted after asking permission thrice).’Umar told him, "Bring witness in proof of your statement." Abu Musa went to the Ansar's meeting places and asked them. They said, "None amongst us will give this witness except the youngest of us, Abu Said Al-Khudri. Abu Musa then took Abu Said Al-Khudri (to 'Umar) and 'Umar said, surprisingly, "Has this order of Allah's Apostle (s) been hidden from me?" (Then he added), "I used to be busy trading in markets."

Bukhari Volume 4, Book 59, Number 3221:

Narrated Ibn Shihab:

Once Umar bin Abdul Aziz delayed the 'Asar prayer a little. 'Urwa said to him, "Gabriel descended and led the prayer in front of the Prophet (s)”. On that 'Umar said, "O Urwa! Be sure of what you say." "Urwa, "I heard Bashir bin Abi Masud narrating from Ibn Masud who heard Allah's Apostle (s) saying, 'Gabriel descended and led me in prayer; and then prayed with him again, and then prayed with him again, and then prayed with him again, and then prayed with him again, counting with his fingers five prayers."

Bukhari Volume 8, Book 79, Number 6245:

Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri:

While I was present in one of the gatherings of the Ansar, Abu Musa came as if he was scared, and said, "I asked permission to enter upon 'Umar three times, but I was not given the permission, so I returned." (When 'Umar came to know about it) he said to Abu Musa, "why did you not enter?'. Abu Musa replied, "I asked permission three times, and I was not given it, so I returned, for Allah's Apostle said, "If anyone of you asks the permission to enter thrice, and the permission is not given, then he should return.' “‘Umar said, "By Allah! We will ask Abu Musa to bring witnesses for it." (Abu Musa went to a gathering of the Ansar and said). "Did anyone of you hear this from the Prophet (s)?" Ubai bin Ka'b said, "By Allah, none will go with you but the youngest of the people (as a witness)”. (Abu Said) was the youngest of them, so I went with Abu Musa and informed 'Umar that the Prophet (s) had said so. (See Vol. 3, Hadith No. 2062)

Bukhari Volume 9, Book 96, Number 7317-7318:

Narrated Al-Mughira bin Shu'ba:

'Umar bin Al-Khattab asked (the people) about the “Imlas” of a woman, i.e. a woman who has an abortion because of having been beaten on her abdomen, saying, "Who among you has heard anything about it from the Prophet (s)?" I said, "I did.'' He (s) said, "What is that?" I said, "I heard the Prophet (s) saying, "It's Diya (blood money) is either a male or a female slave.' "Umar said, "Do not leave till you present witness in support of your statement." So I went out and found Muhammad bin Maslama. I brought him, and he bore witness with me that he had heard the Prophet (s) saying, "It's Diya (blood money) is either a male slave or a female slave."

(22) CHAPTER. The refutation of the claim of those who say, "All the legal decisions and verdicts given by the Prophet (s) were apparent (i.e., known to all people)." And the fact that some of the Companions of the Prophet (s) did not witness certain deeds or did not hear certain sayings of the Prophet (s) and other Islamic matters.

Bukhari Volume 9, Book 96, Number 7353:

Narrated 'Ubai bin 'Umar:

Abu Musa asked permission to enter upon 'Umar, but seeing that he was busy, he went away. 'Umar then said, "Didn't I hear the voice of 'Abdullah bin Qais? Allow him to come in." He was called in and 'Umar said to him, "What made you do what you did." He replied, "We have been instructed thus by the Prophet (s)" (Note-1) 'Umar said, "Bring proof (witness) for this, otherwise I will do so-and-so to you." Then 'Abdullah bin Qais went to a gathering of the Ansar who then said, "None but the youngest of us will give the witness for it." So Abu Said Al-Khudri got up and said, "We used to be instructed thus (by the Prophet)." 'Umar said, "This tradition of the Prophet (s) remained hidden from me. Business in the market kept me busy."

Translator’s Note: to ask permission three times, and if not granted, one should leave.

Companions conscious about the authenticity of Hadis going for Jihad under Yazid bin Muawiya

Bukhari Volume 2, Book 21, Number 1185-1186:

Narrated Mahmud bin Ar-rabi' Al-Ansari,

That he remembered Allah's Apostle (s) and he also remembered a mouthful of water which he had thrown on his face, after taking it from a well that was in their house.

Mahmud said that he had heard Itban bin Malik, who was present with Allah's Apostle (s) in the battle of Badar saying, "I used to lead my people at Bani Salim in the prayer and there was a valley between me and those people. Whenever it rained it used to be difficult for me to cross it to go to their mosque. So I went to Allah's Apostle (s) and said, 'I have weak eye-sight and the valley between me and my people flows during the rainy season and it becomes difficult for me to cross it; I wish you would come to my house and pray at a place so that I could take that place as a praying place.' Allah's Apostle (s) said, 'I will do so.' So Allah's Apostle (s) and Abu Bakr came to my house on the (next) morning after the sun had risen high. Allah's Apostle (s) asked my permission to let him in and I admitted him. He did not sit before saying, 'Where do you want us to offer the prayer in your house?' I pointed to the place where I wanted him to pray. So Allah's Apostle (s) stood up for the prayer and started the prayer with Takbir and we aligned in rows behind him; he offered two Rakat and finished them with Taslim, and we also performed Taslim with him. I detained him for a meal called "Khazir" which I had prepared for him.-- ("Khazir" is a special type of dish prepared from barley flour and meat soup) --

When the neighbors got the news that Allah's Apostle (s) was in my house, they poured it till there were a great number of men in the house. One of them said, 'What is wrong with Malik, for I do not see him?' One of them replied, 'He is a hypocrite and does not love Allah and His Apostle. (s) ' On that Allah's Apostle (s) said, 'don’t say this. Haven't you seen that he said, 'None has the right to be worshipped but Allah for Allah's sake only?' The man replied, 'Allah and His Apostle (s) know better; but by Allah, we never saw him but helping and talking with the hypocrites.' Allah's Apostle replied, 'No doubt, whoever says. None has the right to be worshipped but Allah, and by that, he wants the pleasures of Allah, then Allah will save him from Hell." Mahmud added, "I told the above narration to some people, one of whom was Abu Aiyub, the companion of Allah's Apostle (s) in the battle in which he (Abu Aiyub) died and Yazid bin Mu'awiyya was their leader in Roman Territory. Abu Aiyub denounced the narration and said, 'I doubt that Allah's Apostle (s) ever said what you have said.' I felt that too much, and I vowed to Allah that if I remained alive in that holy battle, I would (go to Medina and) ask Itban bin Malik if he was still living in the mosque of his people. So when he returned, I assumed Ihram for Hajj or 'Umra, and then I proceeded on till I reached Medina. I went to Bani Salim and Itban bin Malik, who was by then an old blind man, was leading his people in the prayer. When he finished the prayer, I greeted him and introduced myself to him, and then asked him about that narration. He told that narration again in the same manner as he had narrated it the first time."

(2) Authenticity - Companions confirming
Ahadis by relating to seniors

Bukhari Volume 4, Book 61, Number 3567-3568:

Narrated 'Aisha:

The Prophet (s) used to talk so clearly that if somebody wanted to count the number of his words, he could do so. Narrated Urwa bin Az-Zubair:

'Aisha said (to me), "Don't you wonder at Abu so-and-so who came and sat by my dwelling and started relating the traditions of Allah's Apostle (s) intending to let me hear that, while I was performing an optional prayer. He (s) left before I finished my optional prayer. Had I found him still there, I would have said to him, 'Allah's Apostle (s) never talked so quickly and vaguely as you do.' "

(3) Additions by companions while
narrating to elaborate

(4) CHAPTER: At-Tauba (Lit. meaning; turning to Allah in repentance).

Qatada said, "...Turn to Allah with sincere repentance...' (66:8) means true and constructive repentance.”

Bukhari Volume 8, Book 80, Number 6308:

Narrated Al-Harith bin Suwaid:

'Abdullah bin Masud related to us two narrations: One from the Prophet (s) and the other from himself, saying: A believer sees his sins as if he were sitting under a mountain which, he is afraid, may fall on him; whereas the wicked person considers his sins as flies passing over his nose and he just drives them away like this." Abu Shihab (the sub-narrator) moved his hand over his nose in illustration. (Ibn Masud added): Allah's Apostle (s) said, "Allah is more pleased with the repentance of His slave than a man who encamps at a place where his life is jeopardized, but he has his riding beast carrying his food and water. He then rests his head and sleeps for a short while and wakes to find his riding beast gone. (He starts looking for it) and suffers from severe heat and thirst or what Allah wished (him to suffer from). He then says, 'I will go back to my place.' He returns and sleeps again, and then (getting up), he raises his head to find his riding beast standing beside him."

Bukhari Volume 5, Book 64, Number 3976:

Narrated Abu Talha:

On the day of Badar, the Prophet (s) ordered that the corpses of twenty-four leaders of Quraish should be thrown into one of the dirty dry wells of Badar. (It was a habit of the Prophet (s) that whenever he conquered some people, he used to stay at the battlefield for three nights. So, on the third day of the battle of Badar, he ordered that his she-camel be saddled, then he set out, and his companions followed him saying among them." "Definitely he (i.e. the Prophet) is proceeding for some great purpose." When he halted at the edge of the well, he addressed the corpses of the Quraish infidels by their names and their fathers' names, "O so-and-so, son of so-and-so and O so-and-so, son of so-and-so! Would it have pleased you if you had obeyed Allah and His Apostle? We have found true what our Lord promised us. Have you too found true what your Lord promised you? "'Umar said, "O Allah's Apostle! You are speaking to bodies that have no souls!" Allah's Apostle (s) said, "By Him in Whose Hand Muhammad's soul is, you do not hear, what I say better than they do."

Qatada said, "Allah brought them to life (again) to let them hear him, to reprimand them and slight them and take revenge over them and caused them to feel remorseful and regretful”.

(4) Age one could be a narrator of Hadis

(18) CHAPTER. At what age may a youth be listened to (i.e. quotation of the Hadith from a boy be acceptable)

Bukhari Volume 1, Book 3, Number 76:

Narrated Ibn 'Abbas:

Once I came riding a she-ass and had (just) attained the age of puberty. Allah's Apostle (s) was offering the prayer at Mina. There was no wall in front of him and I passed in front of some of the row while they were offering their prayers. There I let the she-ass loose to graze and entered the row, and nobody objected to it.

Bukhari Volume 1, Book 3, Number 77:

Narrated Mahmud bin Rabi:

When I was a boy of five, I remember, the Prophet (s) took water from a bucket (used for getting water out of a well) with his mouth and threw it on my face. 

(5) Ali narrated in a peculiar manner

(6) CHAFFER. Killing AI-Khawarij (some people who dissented from the religion and disagreed with the rest of the Muslims), and AI-Mulhidun (heretical) after the establishment of firm proof against them.

And the Statement of Allah; "And Allah will never lead a people astray after He has guided them until He makes clear to them as to what they should avoid..." (9:115)

And Ibn 'Umar used to consider them (Al-Khawarij and Al-Mulhidun) the worst of Allah's   creatures and said, "These people took some Ayahs that had been revealed concerning the disbelievers and interpreted them as describing the believers.”

Bukhari Volume 9, Book 88, Number 6930:

Narrated 'Ali:

Whenever I tell you a narration from Allah's Apostle (s), by Allah, I would rather fall down from the sky than ascribe a false statement to him, but if I tell you something between me and you (not a Hadith) then it was indeed a trick (i.e. I may say things just to cheat my enemy). No doubt I heard Allah's Apostle (s) saying, "During the last days there will appear some young foolish people who will say the best words but their faith will not go beyond their throats (i.e. they will have no faith) and will go out from (leave) their religion as an arrow goes out of the game. So, wherever you find them, kill them, for whom-ever kills them shall have reward on the Day of Resurrection."

The decision to kill a foolish youngster whose “faith not beyond throat” ONLY by a Muslim government

(36) CHAPTER. The sin of the person who recites the Qur'an is to show off or to gain some worldly benefit, or to feel proud, etc.

Bukhari Volume 6, Book 66, Number 5057:

Narrated 'Ali:

I heard the Prophet (s) saying, "In the last days (of the world) there will appear young people with foolish thoughts and ideas. They will give good talks, but they will go out of Islam as an arrow goes out of its game, their faith will not exceed their throats. So, wherever you find them, kill them, for there will be a reward for their killers on the Day of Resurrection."

Note: To understand the true purport of this Hadis it must be read in conjunction with the Quran and Ahadis laying emphasis on coherence and unity in Muslim Ummah, adhering to the group, Jema’ah, and the role of the leader and ruler. If this is read in isolation it may sow the seeds of anarchy because at no time killing anyone can be given into the hands of the general public which will result in the phenomenon as faced in the early part 21st century in the form of IS, Daish and Al-Qaida organizations funded and patronized by enemies of Islam.

Quranic Ayahs on the topic:

003:103
Maududi:
“Hold fast together to Allah's cord83 and Iet nothing divide you. Remember the favor of Allah upon you, when you were enemies to one another, then He united your hearts, and by His grace, you became like brothers, and you were on the brink of the abyss of Fire and He rescued you from it. 84 Thus does Allah make His signs clear to you so that you may find the right path to true success by these? 85

003:110
Maududi:
“Now you are the best community which has been raised up for the guidance of mankind: 88 you enjoin what is right and forbid what is wrong and believe in Allah. Had these people of Book 89 also believed, it would have surely been better for them. Though there are among them some believers, most of them are transgressors”.

004:059
Maududi:
“O Believers obey Allah and obey the Messenger and those entrusted with authority from among you. Then if there arises any dispute about anything, refer it to Allah and the Messenger, 89 if you truly believe in Allah and the Last Day. This is the only right way and will be best in regard to the end. 90

Ahadis on the topic:

(1) CHAPTER. The Statement of Allah; "(0 you who believe!) Obey Allah and obey the Messenger (Muhammad) and those of you (Muslims) who are in authority..." (V.4:59)

Bukhari Volume 9, Book 93, Number 7137:

Narrated Abu Huraira:

Allah's Apostle (s) said, "Whoever obeys me, obeys Allah, and whoever disobeys me, disobeys Allah, and whoever obeys the ruler I appoint, obeys me, and whoever disobeys him, disobeys me."

Bukhari Volume 9, Book 92, Number 7054:

Narrated Ibn 'Abbas:

The Prophet (s) said, "Whoever notices something which he dislikes done by his ruler, then he should be patient, for whoever becomes separate from A1-Jama'ah, the Muslim group, the company of the Muslims even for a span and then dies, he will die as those who died in the Pre-Islamic period of Ignorance (as rebellious sinners)

Bukhari Volume 9, Book 92, Number 7053:

Narrated Ibn Abbas:

The Prophet (s) said, "Whoever disapproves of something done by his (Muslim) ruler then he should be patient, for whoever disobeys (disunites and goes away from his) Muslim ruler even for a span will die as those who died in the Pre-Islamic Period of Ignorance. (i.e. as rebellious Sinners).

Bukhari Volume 4, Book 61, Number 3606:

Narrated Hudhaifa bin Al-Yaman:

The people used to ask Allah's Apostle (s) about good, but I used to ask him about evil for fear that it might overtake me. Once I said, "O Allah's Apostle (s)! We were in ignorance and in evil and Allah has bestowed upon us the present good; will there be any evil after this good?" He (s) said, "Yes." I asked, "Will there be good after that evil?" He said (s), "Yes, but it would be tainted with Dakhan (i.e. little evil)." I asked, "What will its Dakhan be?" He (s) said, "There will be some people who will lead (people) according to principles other than my tradition. You will see their actions and disapprove of them." I said, "Will there be any evil after that good?" He (s) said, "Yes, there will be some people who will invite others to the doors of Hell, and whoever accepts their invitation to it will be thrown in it (by them)." I said, "O Allah's Apostle (s)! Describe those people to us." He said, "They will belong to us and speak our language," I asked, "What do you order me to do if such a thing should take place in my life?" He said (s), "Adhere to the group of Muslims and their Chief." I asked, "If there is neither a group (of Muslims) nor a chief (what shall I do)?" He (s) said, "Keep away from all those different sects, even if you had to bite (i.e. eat) the root of a tree, till you meet Allah while you are still in that state."

Note: Creating schism in any form is vehemently condemned by Allah & His Prophet (s)

006:159
Maududi: 
"You have nothing to do with those who have split up their religion and become sects141 Their case rests with Allah, and He Himself will let them know what they have done."

(6) Bukhari confirms details & his name
mentioned by latter compilers

Bukhari Volume 4, Book 56, Number 2816:

Narrated Jabir:

My father's mutilated body was brought to the Prophet (s) and was placed in front of him. I went to uncover his face but my companions forbade me. Then mourning cries of a lady were heard, and it was said that she was either the daughter or the sister of Amr. The Prophet (s) said, "Why is she crying?" Or said, "Do not cry, for the angels are still shading him with their wings." (Al-Bukhari asked Sadqa, a sub-narrator, "does the narration include the expression: 'Till he was lifted?' “The latter replied, "Jabir may have said it.")

(7) Abu Huraira keen to learn

Bukhari Volume 8, Book 81, Number 6570:Narrated Abu Huraira:

I said, "O Allah's Apostle (s)! Who will be the luckiest person who will gain your intercession on the Day of Resurrection?" The Prophet (s) said, "O Abu Huraira! I have thought that none will ask me about this Hadith before you, as I know your longing for the (learning of) Hadiths. The luckiest person who will have my intercession on the Day of Resurrection will be the one who said, 'None has the right to be worshipped but Allah,' sincerely from the bottom of his heart."

(8) Why caution exercised by Companions
narrating Hadis

Bukhari Volume 1, Book 3, Number 108:

Narrated Anas:

The fact that stops me from narrating a great number of Hadiths to you is that the Prophet (s) said: "Whoever tells a lie against me intentionally, then (surely) let him occupy his seat in Hell-fire."

(9) Companions preferred memory discouraged
making individual collection

Bukhari Volume 8, Book 78, Number 6117:

Narrated Abu As-Sawar Al-Adawi:

'Imran bin Husain said, "The Prophet (s) said, 'Haya' does not bring anything except good." Thereupon Bashir bin Ka'b said, 'It is written in the wisdom paper: Haya leads to solemnity; Haya leads to tranquility (peace of mind)." 'Imran said to him, "I am narrating to you the saying of Allah's Apostle (s) and you are speaking about your paper (wisdom book)?" 

No comments:

Post a Comment